Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

What happened?

Like most of my fellow gamers, I have purchased a lot of DLC aka downloadable content for games. At first I didn’t think much of it. I was happy that a game I liked was getting more content added to it, but now I think DLC is getting out of control. It seems that publishers are just not putting the DLC on the disc because they can charge the gamer another ten bucks and make even more money. I get it, it’s all about making cash but the economy ain’t what it used to be. Allow me to show you an example of what I am talking about, some of my fellow gamers may remember a time when alternative costumes for characters were in the game, you didn’t have to buy them after you paid 60 bucks for the game. At most you just had to put in the hours to unlock them, not fork out your actual cash. To me this is just ridiculous, but it’s far from why I am writing this post. With the release of MvC3 growing closer by the minute I can see this downloadable problem becoming far worse. I imagine that Capcom will keep a few of the popular characters off the roster (like Ken Masters, really Capcom? Really?) and just wait to push them out for download and get more money. So what I will do is wait for a game of the year edition, I mean I’ve been waiting ten years, a few more won’t hurt right?

1 comment:

  1. Good shit and I agree. Devs rely too much on DLC these days and to add to that I don't want to call them lazy but it seems that Devs are relying too much on post-release patches to fix things that should had been deal with before launching the game. I mean I remember the days when a game launched and if it was buggy or glitch ridden then the game was boned because things of that nature used to affect sales. Seems to me that most, not all, but most Devs build games as quickly as they can and launch them half done figuring they can just patch them later. That's about as much BCPS Bullshit as no Ken in the launch roster of MvC3. I really shouldn't have to wait for 2 months and download 12 patches to get decent performance out of a game I dropped $60 on. Maybe it would be more acceptable if games were $40 especially with the increasing use of "DLC" of what used to be standard.

    ReplyDelete