Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Post Launch Game Patches

Ok, reading Vaught's post got me thinking about DLC and in turn game patches and I've come to the conclusion that Devs are getting lazy these days. Example Call of Duty: Black Ops, now I've had my fun with the game no doubt but most of the time I find myself frustrated because of in-game problems that feel like they should have been tended to before release. Things like lag, being kicked from games, inability to join friends and even the ability to join a game seem to plague the game effectively killing the fun. These problems really should be something that the Dev should take care of before sending the game to be sold to millions of people. Go ahead and delay the game if you know there are problems still unsolved. I'd rather wait a couple more months and have a complete game than to have it right away and have it broken and then have to download patch after patch that only slightly improves the overall gameplay. Now take God of War 3 for instance, an amazing game all the way through. It looked amazing, played amazing and was a massive game in terms of scale. GOW3 only had but 2 maybe 3 patches for slight issues with the Dualshock 3 and a small glitch and that's it and that is acceptable. Of course GOW3 isn't a online multiplayer bowl of death like COD:BO is but really I don't care Devs, just give me my game WHOLE and not broken upon purchasing. I'd rather not have your slice of shit disguised as pie and have you try to top it with your whip cream "patch" to keep me from noticing the game you've conned me into buying is actually a giant pile of crap.

2 comments:

  1. Yo that's what I'm saying bro. I miss the golden days. Not only were games cheaper but they didn't have all these problems. I'll bring up a game that made me hate it because of all the glitches I encountered while playing it. That game is Infamous. Too many problems, like trying to complete a mission and then BAM! I'm falling through the fucking ground. Fuck all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I hear you but I'm not going to lie I had a good time with that game. I know what you mean though, I had a couple map glitches myself as well as some flying cars/invincible enemies. These are things that shouldn't be present enough to actually stop you from progressing.

    ReplyDelete