Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

How Come?

I was wondering why no game has ever made you fight yourself. By this I don't mean like a shadow version of yourself or an evil version but your actual self. Here is an example; you spend the entire game playing as the main character. You put in the time and effort to make this character a boss. Then at the end of the game you find out that the main character you have been playing as is actually the villain of the game, so you take control of a supporting character and have to fight and kill the main character. I think this could be an interesting story arch. But the main reason that I think people don't do this is because it would just piss them off. The closest example I can think of is the first two Def Jam fighting games. In the first Def Jam you spend the entire game trying to beat D-Mob, then in the second game you get a new character and now you work for D-Mob and you have to help him rebuild his empire. At first I was pissed off at this, but as the story progressed I became a fan and thoroughly enjoyed both games.

I must give a shout out to Ross, because he put this idea into my head. Ross's exact words: "Dude! What if in God of War 4 you take control of Kratos's brother and have to kill Kratos?"

I was like FUCK THAT! But after thinking about it, I think it would make an interesting story.


P.S. I haven't put in the time or research to see if any game has made you fight the main character at the end of the game. I'm only going off of my own gaming experiences and as far as I can remember I haven't encountered it, yet.

2 comments:

  1. Lol, goddamn son I'm telling you it could be intense. Having to kill Kratos after getting to know and love him over the past 6 years would be insane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol yeah, I had this conversation with Matt when he was playing Castlevania. I thought the main dude was going to turn into Dracula and you would have to use Zobek to kill him. Would of been intense.

    ReplyDelete