Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Top Five: Cinematic Showdowns!

Well I think the title explains it all, but just in case allow me to expand upon it. I'm listing my top five favorite fights of all time. Now the idea is only to include fights between two opponents, so it’s like your basic duel type thing. I’m not including group fights or any fights that have one dude vs. a million. I’m only going for the classic 1 vs. 1 thing. I might do another post to include different kinds of fights but right now I just want to do this. Ok, so I’m starting at number five and working my way to number one. Let’s begin.

NUMBER FIVE: The Rock vs. Vin Diesel


From Fast Five, I know it’s a new fight, but it is still a great fight, and maybe the best thing to come from this movie. Both of these guys were expected to be the next big action stars and it didn’t really happen for either of them, so to see the two duke it out, was quite impressive. Plus the fight had a really gritty feel that, helped sell the intenseness of it. Not to mention that The Rock was fucking roided out in this film.

NUMBER FOUR: Obi Wan vs. Anakin Skywalker


From episode three, the best of the prequel trilogy. This fight was amazing. The special effects and the choreography of the fight were top notch. Was great to see Anakin’s final plunge into the dark side, and I also liked that the film really let the emotion of the fight shine through. All in all it was the best part of the prequel trilogy and it was a good way to transform the shy Anakin, into the evil Darth Vader.

NUMBER THREE: John Wayne vs. Victor McLaglen


From the Quiet Man. This is a great fight. Though not as serious as a fight as the other on the list, it is still a great fight. The humor and realness of the fight help make this fight my number three all time favorite. Not to mention that throughout the whole movie, you just can’t wait for John Wayne to go into boss mode and beat the shit out of Victor McLaglen. A great fight, and a great moment in film history.


NUMBER TWO: Rocky vs. Ivan Drago


From Rocky IV, my favorite Rocky film. This fight had it all, the underdog, revenge, patriotism. Unlike the Cold War, Rocky’s battle with Drago was quite a war. Seeking revenge for the death of his friend, Rocky agrees to fight this massive Russian against everyone’s wishes. Proving why he is the greatest fictional boxer of all time, Rocky steps into the ring with this giant of a man and wins. The fight is brutal, Rocky takes a hell of a beating but like any good underdog story, he keeps on kicking and never admits defeat.

NUMBER ONE: Bruce Lee vs. Chuck Norris


Yeah, I went there. From Way of the Dragon, this fight between a martial arts icon, and a man that is known for his roundhouse kicks is an amazing fight. Though not as chorographically advanced as some of today’s fights, the fight is still great for its classic feel. It’s also more of a fight of minds since both of the characters they were playing were masters at their craft. They each counter each other and know each others moves. All in all definitely my favorite fight of all time, and one of the coolest fights I have ever seen. R.I.P. Bruce Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment